Monday, November 30, 2009

'Tis The Season

This is that time of year when small children dream of a fat man breaking into their homes--and aren't the least bit afraid. When nutcrackers bring to mind ballet--and not something more nefarious. When we smile and greet our neighbor pleasantly--even though we hated him all summer for not cleaning his dog's shit from our front lawn. When we willingly drop money into red buckets--and we are certain we're not getting ripped off. We are now in the Miracle Season. And on Saturday night, we watched the first of what we hope are many, many more miracles. The fact that the Wings ended their goalless/losing streak WASN'T the miracle--not by a long shot. The miracle was who won the game: Todd Bertuzzi. Todd FRICKING Bertuzzi! If anyone told me he/she saw this coming, I'd call him/her a liar to his/her* face. Now that we have seen this miracle with our own eyes, every Wing fan knows with no uncertainty that the Wings are on their way. We know that they will end the season at the top of the standings. We now know that they can win the Cup again. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that things will be fine. We believe in MIRACLES.

And all of this will go away the next time the Wings lose. Could be as early as tonight.


(*This PC shit is useless. From now on I will use 'he, him, his' to refer to everyone.)

2 comments:

gander said...

I'm not a Bert hater (but not a fan either) but I was surprised when he was picked to be the shootout choice. A sigh of relief when he got that one in.

We won tonight! And Bertuzzi had a goal! I think the shootout goal was a morale booster for him because he looked confident when he was going for that goal. I hope this continues- both the Wings performance and Bert's contribution.

Now, if only Leino would wake up...

cmk said...

I, too, was very perplexed as to why he got to do the shootout, but it worked. I'm sure I would have been more upset if I had seen the entire game, but we out for the evening--watching a hockey game. I'm sure hoping this was the boost he needed.

And yes, if only Leino could get going. I'm so disappointed with him--he's a Finn, after all, and I have to stick with my ethnic group. ;)