Saturday, November 21, 2009

Well, I'M Insulted

First, if I wouldn't have had other things to do during the game, I would have fallen asleep. (I multitask most of the time--I think it is in my job description.) Quite boring. No sooner had I told The Husband, "The Panthers will score and win--the Wings just don't seem to be able to win in overtime or the shootout," the Panthers scored and won. I really wasn't very surprised at the outcome--I didn't have good feelings about the game right from the beginning. But enough of this. What I really wanted to write about was the pre-game show--and the 'conversation' with Mike Murphy.

Murphy should really get someone to write him a new speech--or at the very least, change the words around a little. I believe he said, word for word, the same thing tonight that he said on Thursday. Talk about reading from a script! But this, too, isn't what I wanted to write about.

I was very, very insulted by Murphy. He began by saying something about so many Wing fans calling about the disallowed goal. Okay, I believe that. It wasn't the fact that he brought it up, it was the tone of voice he used--and maybe the words. (I didn't record the pre-game show, so I can't quote him.) He talked about Wing fans the way the rest of us talk about our crazy Aunt Edna--you know the one who always makes those family get-togethers so very interesting. The tone conveyed the message that 'We love them because they are part of our family, but we try to ignore them as much as possible. And we NEVER take them seriously.' It was terribly condescending and I wonder how many others noticed this? How very sad that the League doesn't even try to cover up the way they feel about Wing fans.

No comments: