Sunday, January 3, 2010

They Did Good

Again, I kept myself busy during the game (putting away the Christmas decorations), so I pretty much only listened to the game, rather than watched. From what I did hear, it sounded like they played well--and Jimmy was very, very good. I'm very happy to see Datsyuk scoring again and Lidstrom putting up points is a welcome change. Is it my imagination or have they played better since Filppula came back? I'm sure it is a big boost to the team to finally see a member of the walking dead return. Just gives them much hope for the future. But, VF has been playing well since his return, too. Some day in the future, everyone will see what I saw in him the first time I watched him play. He is all-star material and will prove me right some day.

**********

One of my pet peeves is when announcers pronounce Finnish names wrong. (They probably do the same with other names, as well, but I wouldn't know that.) Ken Daniels just screws up 'Lepisto' so badly that I want to scream. Now, he does a very decent job with 'Filppula' and 'Leino', but not so well with their first names. 'Korpikoski' is a name he struggles with, also--but I wouldn't expect anyone to pronounce it in the Finnish way. He COULD do better, though. Anyway, Ken continues to pronounce 'Lepisto' as 'le-PISS-toe'. wrong, wrong, WRONG!!! The correct way to say it is: 'LEP-iss-toe'. Remember, the accent in Finnish is ALWAYS on the first syllable. Along with the mispronunciation of 'sauna,' I can't abide anyone not taking the time to figure out how to pronounce someone's name*--especially if it is the person's job to SAY the name multiple times.


*I'm very sure I don't always say words or names properly. I'm sure I mangle them quite well--especially French. I don't have a gift for languages, so I am very open to someone correcting me when I'm wrong---particularly if they do it in a gentle manner. ;)

No comments: