Sunday, June 28, 2009

News Is Coming Out

Ansar Khan at mlive.com quoted Ken Holland today as saying it isn't looking real good for Hossa to be back in Detroit next season. The Wings want a cap hit of $4 million and Hossa's agent is looking for a number around $6 million. NOT going to happen in Detroit. Also, the Wings are NOT going to offer a contract to Ty Conklin. Tomas Kopecky is going to try to see if another club wants him and Samuelsson probably will be offered a deal, especially if Hossa falls through. However, Sammy might see what he could get elsewhere. Qualifying offers have been made to Hudler and Leino, so they're safe.

It is getting really hard to imagine Hossa re-signing in Detroit. And if (when?) he goes, I don't know that I will feel terrible about it. He came for a reason and never said he was staying for the long haul--even though he HAS said he would like to stay, it always felt a little like a short-term experiment. I say good luck, it's been nice knowing you, and no hard feelings. Hossa's leaving will give a lot of exciting options for the Wings.

I don't know if Samuelsson and Kopecky leaving will be that terrible, either. For their sakes, I hope they find other teams where they can fit in and adapt. Too many times we see players who don't play well with other teams, but shine brightly with the Wings--and I hope they get good fits. Neither was a star with the Wings, but it always--well, almost always (*cough* Bertuzzi *cough*)--is sad to see a player leave.

I really, REALLY hate to see Ty Conklin leave. He is such a cutie (yes, that's me being female) and he really stepped up and saved the team when Ozzie was having problems. I was hoping that the Wings would finally cut their ties to Howard, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I certainly hope this isn't going to be a mistake. But, then, Holland doesn't make many mistakes, so I have to trust that he knows what he is doing.

No comments: