Monday, June 22, 2009

A Bad Cliche

I mentioned in my last post that I am not a fan of Alex Ovechkin. A lot of people think he is good for hockey. I'm not going to agree with that.

He has talent--that much I will agree with. However, ANYONE that shoots the puck as much as he does is bound to get a lot of goals. And from what little I have seen of him, it seems as if he is pretty much only offense. His shooting percentage is only around 12%--NOT the best, considering how many shots he takes.

But, his performance on the ice isn't what makes me a non-fan--well, except for his after-goal antics. (I REALLY don't like showoffs.) The thing that bothers me most about him is that he lives every bad cliche there ever has been written/said about a star athlete. I mean, come on, walking down the red carpet of the NHL awards with Vegas showgirls hanging on him?! Pah-lease!!! He reminds me of the 'bad boy' character in MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives TV show. (And, yes, I did watch it--but it was summer and there wasn't anything else on.) He's making the money, he's living large, he's showing off, and it makes me not like him. Maybe it's because I'm not a guy.

No comments: