Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Baby Boy

I have an extremely inappropriate crush on Valtteri Filppula. I have named him my Baby Boy because he is a couple of weeks younger than my Youngest. 8 April 2006, was the date I first noticed VF--the Wings played Columbus and he had 11:37 on-ice time. The next day, I told The Hubby that I saw a player who could very easily become a star.

As a second generation Finnish-American, I was proud to see VF as the first Finn to ever play for the Wings--and it didn't hurt that he actually was a good player. His is the first jersey that I purchased and I refuse to wear it until I get to the Joe to see him play in person. Unfortunately, I may never get to wear it. (I have to convince The Hubby to go there--something I haven't been able to do. YET.)

I have had many people ask if I would change teams if VF was ever to be traded. Obviously, these people don't know how loyal Wing fans are. I would always follow his career, but never change teams--not going to happen. I believe he has much to offer the Wings in the years to come--I don't in any way believe he has peaked. I see him as becoming Datsyuk-lite. He does quite a few things like Datsyuk, but there will never be another Pavel--even VF won't come close. But, I think he will become much better than he is now.

So, why do I even post this? Well, it is to let anyone who might read this blog know just how I feel about my Baby Boy. While I will criticize any bone-headed mistakes he makes, he is ALWAYS my Baby Boy first and I don't tolerate any nasty bashing of him. Now you can go and discuss the crazy lady who writes this blog. ;)

No comments: