Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pissing Off Women

I'm not 100% sure why so many women got pissed off when they saw the newest jerseys the NHL is offering for sale, but I, for one, don't like them because they are ugly.  Period.  I've never quite understood the bejeweled clothing--except for my 'The Bitch Is Back' T-shirt*--so these jerseys would never be on my 'must have' list.  When I have ever made a purchase from NHL.com, I've always gone straight to the 'men's' section, so I probably would never even have SEEN these if it wasn't for all the talk today.

I read a lot of comments from women about how much these types of clothes denigrate and insult women. A lot of women think that all these items show a lack of understanding of what women really want.  Not every woman--okay, very FEW women--want clothes like this.  And I think that's where the biggest problem is:  this is more of a male 'fantasy' about what women want than what we actually DO want.  When I went to the 'women's' section at shop.NHL.com, I was quite horrified by the majority of clothes they had to offer for women.  Frankly, most of what was there should be marketed only for those young women who haven't reached their 14th birthdays--you know, the tween-aged, Twilight-loving, middle schoolers who are into glittery stuff.  But most intelligent, mature (NOT old, mature) women by-pass stuff like this.  (Unless they want to find their pictures on People of Walmart--but I digress.)

Would this have been such a big deal if it wasn't the off-season and not much is happening in the hockey world?  Probably not.  Of course, there will always be someone who is offended by any slight--real or perceived--so this might not have flown under the radar.  But I think this will blow over quite quickly.  One thing that might NOT die down so fast--or will be remembered later--are some of the comments men made during this.  There were men who just cannot believe that any woman could possibly be offended by the implication of these jerseys:  that women are air-headed puck bunnies that like all things bright and shiny and form fitting.  And the fact that there is not even an attempt to understand how offensive this is, is what upsets a lot of women.  Just as quite a few people don't understand why I--a stay-at-home--cannot abide someone asking me if I "work or just stay at home," and why anyone would find this offensive and demeaning.  Oh, well.  But, as I said, this too shall pass.

Hopefully, this has shown the NHL that there are women who are unhappy about the selections we have to choose from when it comes to team clothing made for us.  And, hopefully, someone in marketing will see this as an opportunity to get some stuff that can be sold to those of us who never even dreamed of owning a Bedazzler!  One can only hope...




*And considering I bought the shirt in the Elton John store in Las Vegas, it HAD to have sparkles on it.  :D

2 comments:

Jamie Favreau said...

From what I have read in sports marketing books it seems that sports franchises market to men. So this could be just part of the culture but at the same time. I would NEVER buy that. I saw the Red Wings version and it is the ugliest thing ever. Why do you need something bedazzled on your collar? Someone had to sign off on it. ICK. Totally agree with you.

cmk said...

I don't doubt for one moment that the marketing is geared towards men, but it IS the 21st century and it's time to realize there ARE women who are into sports, too. It is frustrating.

But that being said, I can't even imagine that a MAN could say that jersey was a good idea! ;)