Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Not Meant To Be

I don't watch the news--it is too depressing.  However, I wanted to see the score of the Tiger game--talk about depressing--so I made a point of having the 11:00 news on tonight.  So, what was the first story on the sports segment?  The Stanley Cup made an appearance 100 miles from me--back 'home' where we grew up--today.  And I knew NOTHING about it!  I missed an opportunity to see the Cup for the second time.  I don't think I'm suppose to see it.  Life sucks sometime.

Two years ago, I got a phone call from a friend in Wisconsin, asking me if I had any desire to see the Stanley Cup.  As she is NO hockey fan, I was a bit confused until she told me that Brian Rafalski was making an appearance at the veteran's facility where her husband works.  Well, The Husband and I jumped at the chance to go and meet him, so we made our arrangements to go with our friends to see the Cup.  We got to their house in plenty of time, but they didn't quite understand the time constraints, etc, surrounding Cup appearances--they weren't ready to go.  We didn't leave their home until the scheduled time for Rafalski's visit, but they weren't worried about us missing the Cup.  Of course, we wound up getting to the facility 5 minutes AFTER Rafalski left.  It took all of my strength to keep from crying.  The only thing that kept me from doing something that I would regret later, was the fact that these are our oldest, dearest friends in the world--and hockey means nothing to them.

Two times I've missed seeing the Cup, but I still have to believe that the next opportunity will be when I FINALLY get to see it.  I HAVE to believe--otherwise I'd go into the bathroom and slit my wrists with a wet noodle.

No comments: