Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Draft

For all who were engrossed by the draft the last couple of days, I say "Good for you."  However, I thought it was about as snooze-worthy as the World Cup.  Too many times in the past, I have watched/paid attention to the draft and been horrified by the attitudes of the draftees.  While the kids usually don't show their true colors too much on the day they are drafted, way too often, down the road, they are shown to have attitudes that are disgusting.  I can't stand athletes who think their shit doesn't stink and who believe the world owes them everything because they can hit a ball, skate, run, etc, etc, etc.  I live and die for hockey, as much as--if not more--than the next person, but I DO realize it is only a game.  And I wish some of these players realize what a privileged life they actually enjoy--and be grateful for it.  (I am talking across every sport now--not just hockey.)  And now I will stop this latest rant, as no one cares, anyway--I just need to vent at times.  :D

I was rather intrigued by the Wings fourth pick, however.  Of course, I got very interested because he is a Finn, first and foremost.  But, his name, Teemu Pulkkinen, jumped out at me very, very much.  As a young girl, we had neighbors with the last name of Pulkkinen--and the daughter was a friend of mine.  I am not sure how common of a name Pulkkinen is in Finland, but it would be interesting to know if he is related to those I know.  (As an aside, there are Filppulas 'back home', also--and I don't believe they are related to Baby Boy.  But then, Finland is such a small country that I'm sure there IS a connection somehow.)  Considering how high he was supposed to be drafted, it will be interesting to see how well he does.

No comments: