Thursday, June 24, 2010

And Now Hockey...

There are very few places where I can go, things I can read, shows I can watch, that don't have a political bend or agenda.  Hockey has, for the most part, been one of the only activities I can enjoy without being bombarded with politics.  And this is politics from EVERY spectrum--the stuff I agree with and the stuff I loathe.  Until now.

The Stanley Cup will be in the Chicago gay pride parade this weekend.  And there are two reasons--in my opinion--for this.  First, it is the Blackhawk organization's way of 'apologizing' to the gay community for someone writing 'he's gay' under Pronger's name on their whiteboard.  This, of course, was an embarrassment for the team and ownership.  The parade appearance is a way of 'showing' that there is no homophobia in the organization.  And secondly, this is just another group jumping on the 'gay is okay' bandwagon.  Let's face it, we hear this message day in and day out--and have for a few years now.  I don't see this entire thing as showing just how tolerant the Blackhawks are, just shows that they know how to try and appease those who yell the loudest.

I am not just opposed to the Cup being in the gay pride parade.  I would be just as upset, and find it just as disagreeable, if it made an appearance at a pro-life rally, or a pro-choice event.  The Cup has no business being at a defense of marriage march OR a same-sex marriage march.  I don't want to see the Cup at the Democrat OR Republican national conventions.  Can't we have SOMETHING that has nothing to do with politics or political agendas?  Can't we all come together and enjoy an event, no matter where we fall on the political spectrum?  I was hoping that hockey could be the one place where we ONLY fight and disagree over which team is the best.  I guess I was just being naive.

No comments: