Monday, May 10, 2010

And That Was That

There we have it...the end of the season.  While I feel badly for the players--and us fans--my first emotion isn't sadness.  I really think I expected this for most of the year.  After all, they didn't play like the Red Wings we all know and love, for most of the year.  And they really faced an uphill battle in order to go deeper into the playoffs.  A battle they just couldn't win.  I think this whole scenario was inevitable.

First, I will NEVER say that the better team won.  I'm that much of a blind, homer fan, that I can't see anything but the team I love.  I see everything bad that is done to them, as well as everything they do right.  I don't see the penalties NOT called against the Wings, but I certainly see everything that the other team gets away with.  I guess I'm the kind of fan that gives fans a bad name--and I don't apologize for that.  So, BITE ME!

If the Wings were/are the best team in the NHL, why aren't they still in the playoffs?  Simple:  they didn't play the best they can.  With everything that happened this year, it was as if everything came together in a perfect storm and derailed them in the worst way possible.  Injuries all season, the fact that the team didn't play together enough to get a rhythm going, battered bodies playing in the playoffs, strong teams in the playoffs, officiating, players that probably had no business playing for the Wings, etc, all played a part in this early end to the season.  No one thing can be pointed to for this situation--and it is pretty futile to try and give a concise explanation.  And so I won't.

I think the hardest part of all of this is having to endure all of the Red Wing haters.  Again, I am a blind homer, but I cannot understand HOW people can't see what a great team the Wings are.  I can't abide the laughs and derisive comments, the chants of 'dead wings' and proclamations that the team is done for.  It HURTS!  It hurts as badly as if someone was saying terrible things about one of my own kids.  And that is what I hate the most about them losing.  I guess I just have a thin skin, but that is the way it is.  I won't apologize, and again, BITE ME!

After a very difficult year, the Wings did pretty well.  I don't think they have (much) to apologize for.  I have faith--well, as much as my pessimism allows--that they will be back next year, better than ever.  And that they have a GREAT chance at bringing the Cup home, back where it belongs.

No comments: